Back at it
It has been a while since I last updated because I have been out of the country for the last 2 weeks. I did a little work on the TIE kit before vacation but did not get a chance to update before we left. I was able to make some good process on the kit, so here are some highlights of what I have finished.
First, I spray painted almost the entire kit with a coat of flat gull gray, which is the same base I have used for several other Star Wars kits.
Once I finished that coat, I started working on the cockpit. The pilot just needed areas of flat black with gloss black details, and the detail of the inside of the cockpit was all decals. The scissors in the second photo show how small the scale is.
After the cockpit was finished, I started work on the mainframe. The frame was simple to construct, with two large pieces and a few small details to add on.
Finally, I had to paint the clear pieces without getting paint on the windows. Fortunately, the kit provided masks to fit the clear sections, but I was not able to get a tight seal on the edges and some of the paint bled onto the window panes. For now, here is a photo of the clear pieces with the masks.
I do not yet have a picture of the completed body, but now that I am back from vacation, I can get back to work in full force.