All Systems Go!
After choosing not to assemble the landing gear for an in-flight look to the kit, the first step involved assembling the cockpit. I briefly considered buying the photoetched detailed cockpit from Starship Modeler, but since I am not to the point of adding lighting yet, I decided it wasn’t worth the extra cost. The assembly of the cockpit was easy; the only elements that took a little more time were the decals and small detail painting.
After I finished the cockpit, I needed to add the pilot figure. The paint instructions for the figure were the same as the last Viper kit I made, but I wasn’t overly thrilled with the result of the interior green and gold mix. I looked at some pictures of the Viper pilot suits and thought that they were a darker green so I mixed the dark green with just a little bit of gold to add a metallic sheen. Then, I painted the vest and some other minor details a dark grey to offset it from the rest of the suit, which is closer to the actual flight suits.
With the cockpit finished, I could start work on the fuselage, and the first and most important thing to do was give it a coat of paint. I sprayed all of the main ship parts with a gloss white enamel (the one that accidentally made its way onto the bottom of my snowspeeder…), and they were ready to go.