Modified for Hoth Conditions
I am almost finished with the Snowspeeder, but I ordered a set of weathering powder that will not come until later this week. It’s killing me that I have to wait so long when I am this close, but I think the results will be worth it. For now, however, I have a couple pictures of the near-finished product. First: the display stand, which I airbrushed with a flat white and then decaled with the Star Wars logo and the name of the speeder.
I chose the white as a contrast to the black lettering and in honor of Hoth’s number one characteristic: snow.
The other picture is of the mostly weathered final Snowspeeder. I began with a dark gray wash, which made a huge difference in the overall look. Next, I used cotton swabs and dipped them in some exhaust metallizer and aluminum metallizer. I used the swabs to swipe on some blaster burn marks and parts around edges where the paint had worn down to the bare metal. Finally, I went back over the whole vehicle with another wash in order to dull some of the brightness of the aluminum spots and to fill in the crevices with simulated dirt.
I am very proud of the results so far, and I am hoping the final touches will make this my favorite kit yet.